Sunday, December 12, 2010

Anna's Impact



One main thing that I really admire about Anna Halprin is that she has always accepted her individual aesthetic. She has never tried to be something that she's not and I really like that about her. When everyone in the dance world was going one way, she went completely in a different direction. This is really important to me because I really feel like I am still trying to find my personal aesthetic. I really admire her confidence in what she does, and I hope that one day I have the same confidence to practice my aesthetic without inhibition.



Throughout my research, I have found that Anna Halprin's approach to dance, and to life, is incredibly unique. Anna believes so much in the power of dance that she has dedicated her later years to using it to help the elderly and the sick. She herself believed so much in dance that she went into remission from cancer that doctors said she would not be able to recover from. Although it may be different reasons for everyone, I think we all to some extent believe in the power of our dancing. I think every dancer knows that their movement has the ability to convey ideas, to change people's moods, and even to heal. Dancing can make us feel better even on the worst of days. There is no feeling in the world that comes close to the feeling that you get after dancing your best at a fun combination in class, or the feeling that you get as you step onto a stage. We have all felt it, and I think that Anna really uses this idea in a lot of her work, which is why I like and respect her so much.

4 comments:

  1. Agreeing with you, I have always admired Anna Halprin as well for her individuality as well as personal uniqueness. I think this is also a common trend in all the great choreographers in dance history, to believe wholeheartedly in what they do and dedicate their lives to their dance and ideals with no fear of rejection or failure. I personally have also been working on finding the confidence to believe in myself and finding my personal aesthetics, so it is somewhat comforting to hear about someone in the same situation. You are right about how dance make us feel. We have all felt the power of dance and how it can completely transcend one’s experience with the world. I feel so lucky to have been and still am experiencing dance with its extraordinary power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, as a photographer, I have to say that you chose GREAT photos for this blog. This entry helped me appreciate Anna Halprin more. At first, her whole world sounded a little crazy to me and I shrugged it off as being too "out there" for my personal taste. However, as I continued reading your blog, I came to realize and appreciate how much she really believes in what she does. As a strong believer in science, even I get bored of studying some of the most interesting concepts over and over spanning long periods of time, but she has always focused on the spiritual and healing powers of dance throughout her entire life, even into her later years. Her drive makes me think that maybe there really is something more there to dance than I can see or feel, even though I do feel little bursts of it as you said in good combinations or when stepping on a stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you said about the feeling you get when you dance because I can relate to it. I agree whole heartedly that dance is therapy and you making that comment helped me to better understand where Anna is coming from. When I'm sad dancing helps me overcome the tears, when I'm angry dancing helps me alleviate my pain. I am wondering if this is the same thing that art therapy does for other people that are non-dancers. I know that I also love to sing (in the shower when nobody is listening) and that also works for me in a similiar way. Maybe everybody has their own niche that works for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this post very inspiring because I am still trying to find my inner aesthetic. I wish I could have whole hearted confidence like Anna Halprin to make an impact like she did on others. It is amazing to see what dance can do for people, such as sending Anna into remission. I personally know how hard cancer can be on others, and if dance can make such an impact on someone to help rid a treacherous disease, everyone should have dance in their life! It helps me realize how special I am to have the opportunity to dance and be touched by its power.

    ReplyDelete